I'm so glad I picked up the pre-coloured fondant. I would have had to use a whole bottle of colour to get it this true of a colour. Worth the two extra dollars! The treads took a little fiddling with, and I decided that a half missing design would look the best.
I was looking forward to designing the hubcap. I made a decent gray, then used my silver luster dust to get some chrome on there... if only I could have made it spin... another time.
I was jumping back and forth as to when to move it on. Wait till it dried so I didn't smudge the paint, but risk it having hardened and maybe crack it, or do it right away and risk it tearing from being soft and losing its shape. I decided to move it right away as I was very happy with the look and didn't want to have to make it a second time.
The finished product. I'm very happy with it, and would only make one or two changes the next time. I can see this being fun for a real car fan and adding more details behind the hubcap - brake pads, better treads, inflation valve...
|Finished Spare Tire Cake|